Saturday, January 19, 2013

...a flutterby's courage...


Walking down a path through some woods in Georgia in 1977, 1 saw a water puddle ahead on the path. I angled my direction to go around it on the part of the path that wasn’t covered by water and mud.  As I reached the puddle, I was suddenly attacked!

 Yet I did nothing for the attack was so unpredictable and from a source so totally unexpected. I was startled as well as unhurt, despite having been struck four or five times already.  I backed up a foot and my attacker stopped attacking me.  Instead of attacking more, he hovered in the air on graceful butterfly wings in front of me.  Had I been hurt I wouldn’t have found it amusing, but I was unhurt, it was funny, and I was laughing.  After all, I was being attacked by a butterfly!

 Having stopped laughing, I took a step forward.  My attacker rushed me again.  He rammed me in the chest with his head and body, striking me over and over again with all his might, still to no avail.  For a second time, I retreated a step while my attacker relented in his attack.

 Yet again, I tried moving forward.  My attacker charged me again.  I was rammed in the chest over and over again. I wasn’t sure what to do, other than to retreat a third time, after all, it’s just not everyday that one is attacked by a butterfly. This time, though, I stepped back several paces to look the situation over. My attacker moved back as well to land on the ground.  That’s when I discovered why my attacker was charging me only moments earlier.

 He had a mate and she was dying.  She was beside the puddle where he landed.  Sitting close beside her, he opened and closed his wings as if to fan her.  I could only admire the love and courage of that butterfly in his concern for his mate. He had taken it upon himself to attack me for his mate’s sake, even though she was clearly dying and I was so large.  He did so just to give her those extra few precious moments of life, should I have been careless enough to step on her.

 Now I knew why and what he was fighting for.  There was really only one option left for me. I carefully made my way around the puddle to the other side of the path, though it was only inches wide and extremely muddy.  His courage in attacking something thousands of times larger and heavier than himself just for his mate’s safety justified it.  I couldn’t do anything other than reward him by walking on the more difficult side of the puddle.  He had truly earned those moments to be with her, undisturbed.  I left them in peace for those last few moments, cleaning the mud from my boots when I later reached my car.

 Since then, I’ve always tried to remember the courage of that butterfly whenever I see huge obstacles facing me.  I use that butterfly’s courage as an inspiration and to remind myself that good things are worth fighting for.

she was so close.
to recognizing her dream.
 of flying.
but cold weather came.
and it was too late.
just BE.
robin.

18 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What an amazing and lovely post for the day, Robin!! And what a brave little butterfly indeed!! Thanks for sharing -- a great reminder for all of us!

Patti said...

Hi Robin,

What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it.
I would never think that a butterfly would care for its mate like that.

Nature is always amazing.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Lovely shadow--and an even lovelier story. Thank you for that memory from "long ago."

Shadowy Love Story

Leah said...

I love this story Robin.
Gonna share it with my girls; they will get a kick out of it, and it is chuck-full of lessons.
Have a great rest of your weekend, hope the clouds clear soon so you can take lots of "flash-less" shots.
Cheers.

Kathe W. said...

amazing courage in such a fragile butterly- sweet and sad story.
Your photos are divine-love coming to visit as I am never disappointed-especially today.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Robin girl that was such a profound story of courage. We need to remember that physically lesser beings than we possesses amazing feelings and abilities that we almost can't comprehend. I want to hold on to this story in my head .. thank you girl !
The picture of the cocoon is a perfect accompaniment !
Joy : )

Gemma Wiseman said...

O what a story is this! (I still have a few tears!) I had no idea that a butterfly would behave in such a way! Clearly all creatures feel for one another, just as we should - always! And love the simple but beautiful shadow of the cocoon in your photo!

Chubby Chieque said...

I never think it either. Butterfly attacking? That's really a great story and a wonderful information to add in my current event.

Have a blessed w/end, gorgeous Rob.

Hugs,
/CC girl

Ralph said...

We fight for our loved ones, we hope and prepare for their safety and we take the slights of others (real or perceived) personally lest they intrude - this is a wonderful story of commitment, the affections that matter. A beautiful story within nature...and ourselves!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Such an inspiring story and how loving!

Paper Roses Shadows
Your comment is always appreciated.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

What an amazing story! I've never heard of butterflies doing that-nor did I know that they mated for life (or, it seems so here).
I too, shall take this story of courage with me throughout life and remember that good things are worth fighting for.
Thank you!

Beverley Baird said...

Such a lovely story and beautiful shadow!

Lighthousegal said...

What a beautiful shadow shot and even more beautiful is the story of the Butterfly. I am glad I stopped by.
Happy Sunday!

Vane M. said...

além da bela sombra uma imagem cheia de significados. Todos precisar romper casulos de vez em quando. Beijos!

Unknown said...

Lovely story. Could you have lifted her from the puddle and extended her lift some? He was a hero.

colleen said...

Hanging by on such a sweet promise.

bj said...

What a sweet love story.

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Oh my gosh, what a sweet story! I am always touched by stories like this. I love animals so much and believe they are all smarter than we give them credit for; even butterflies!