Saturday, June 27, 2009

...rocking chair...


My Rocking-Chair
by Robert William Service
When I am old and worse for wear
I want to buy a rocking-chair,
And set it on a porch where shine
The stars of morning-glory vine;
With just beyond, a gleam of grass,
A shady street where people pass;
And some who come with time to spare,
To yarn beside my rocking-chair.
Then I will light my corn-cob pipe
And dose and dream and rarely gripe.
My morning paper on my knee
I won't allow to worry me.
For if I know the latest news
Is bad,--to read it I'll refuse,
Since I have always tried to see
The side of life that clicks with glee.
And looking back with days nigh done,
I feel I've had a heap of fun.
Of course I guess that more or less
It's you yourself make happiness
And if your needs are small and few,
Like me you may be happy too:
And end up with a hope, a prayer,
A chuckle in a rocking-chair.
i will not think back on my corn cob pipe...
but i will reflect
back
on how simple things made me
happy...
like sitting in my rocking chair.
just BE.
robin.
today is saturday...
today is SSS...
please join in the fun...

18 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Lovely shadow shot and lovely words to accompany it! Have a lovely weekend!

jabblog said...

Lovely photos, especially the second one and the words are most appropriate.

just jody said...

nice post robin. your second shot is my fav.

maryt/theteach said...

Thanks for sharing the shadowy photos and the wonderful poem! Happy SSS! :)

Margaret Gosden said...

Love the way the shadows give strength to the character of the chair. Nice angle!

A Wild Thing said...

To YARN beside my rocking chair...I love ol'timey terminology, it makes me feel so common...and there's a lot of us common folk you know, folks that appreciate a long stay in a rockin' chair, a long cup of coffee with friends and a long breath of life...it's good isn't it...to just be!

Thanks Robin, I needed that...we had a busy day in Palo today, one woman from the area, said her daughter lives in Michigan and just found the coolest blog...she told her Mom to git on over to Palo and check out a shop named 'White', that's just 15 minutes from her home and she found us through these crazy blogs...isn't it a small world...

Rock on lil' sister...say hey to Ma!!!

s

Hey Harriet said...

Beautiful shadow on your rocking chair. Thanks for sharing that poem. Yeah...the simple things indeed. They keep me happy! :)

bj said...

A beautiful post!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Nice shadows Robin....although, do I have to wait until I'm old? Sitting on that rocking chair sounds great right now!!

robin. said...

summer~if i had to wait until i was old to sit in a rocker...i would be wishing my life away...there is nothing better than sitting in a rocker rocking...just loving the simple things in life.

sharon~i loved the word yarn too, not a word you hear at all these days...that's why i liked this poem. if things like this make me "simple and common" bring it on. i love it, and like you, wouldn't have it any other way.
i love that you were visited by a mom thru a daughter that read a blog about your place. sooooo very cool! i hope she loved visiting the shop. i know i'd love to be there!! someday.

Anonymous said...

Love your rocking chair and shadow shot. I want one now. Love the poem, too.

Paz

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Where is the old man
who rocked in this chair each night,
whispering to stars?

Chris said...

If I listen juuuusst close enough, I can hear the boards lightly squeak as the chair rocks on a late fall evening.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Lovely post, Robin. I had never heard this poem and it was a true treat! I love my rocking chair on my porch too! Life would be benign without it.

robin. said...

thanks jan...yes what would we do without our rocking chair.

Chubby Chieque said...

Lovely rocking chair. Oldie but goodie, gave you such a cool shadow.

ENJOY!

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

LOVE the poem...and the great shadowy photo!!

deb did it said...

your photos always stir something wonderful inside me